Are you planning to travel out of the country with your family? Chances are, you would need a passport as a travel document to do so.  A passport is a travel document, issued by the government that certifies the identity and nationality of its holder mostly for the purpose of international travel.

While it is pretty straightforward for adults to get their passport established, minor children’s passport application requires more verification documents.   Here are 4 documents you would need to provide to get your minor child’s passport issued.

  1. A complete DS-11 application form

Form DS-11 is required of everyone wanting to get a new passport and for replacing an expired or lost one.  This is the main application form where it is required to put down all the basic information such as one’s name, address, birthplace, date of birth, parents’ names, occupation etc.

2. The child’s proof of citizenship

Any passport applicant needs to prove their United States citizenship, including children. Citizenship can be verified with a birth certificate issued by the city, county or state of birth.  A passport is proof that someone is a citizen of a country.  It testifies of your nationality anywhere you are in the world.

3. Evidence of parental relationship

The government makes a point to verify parental relationship between the parents/legal guardians and the minor children.  Whether the relationship is biological or through adoption, the appropriate court or government issued paperwork needs to be verified before a passport can be issued to a minor child.  This process definitely makes sense to avoid any type of child trafficking or kidnapping.

4. Parental Consent

The passport parental consent form, aka ‘statement of consent’ is Form DS-3053.  It is to be filled out when the child is under 16 years of age, and when only one of the parents is present.  As a general rule, both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of a minor’s passport, however if one of them can’t be available, the absent parent must grant permission by filling out the parental consent form. 

Feel free to contact Wendy’s Signature Service to receive knowledgeable and professional counsel and notary services in this process.  Bon voyage!